Sunday, May 11, 2008

individual benefits from yoga postures

Also, there are general accepted benefits of the various poses. I don't think it's so clearcut, however. It would seem to be that this is, at least on some level, akin to dream analysis. There aren't clearcut symbols or definitions for what benefits what. It's helpful to read about a given pose and its generally-accepted benefits. However, on some level, there are many individual benefits that are unique to each individual. Knowing too much about anything confounds our own experience of whatever it may be. Before I obtain too much second-hand knowledge about yoga, I'd like to play around with the poses and intuit my own take on the poses' benefits for me personally.

For instance (and this is just a fleeting thought with no scientific backing whatsoever), let me go on a limb and say that simple inversions should be good for both short-lasting foul moods or long-lived depression. These are poses that don't require too much vigorous effort and that stretch the back while grounding you as your head reaches towards the ground. Downward-facing dog is an example of this. Also child's pose, forward fold, stretching your feet out upwards against a wall, and rabbit. My intuition is to hold poses longer with less intensity to ease negative feelings. Bringing your hands to your heart center, maybe in tree or tadasana, also helps to center you. Raising your hands to the sky is usually uplifting, and perhaps a mini back-bend would be satisfactory as well, with a dive forward to let it all go. Breath is especially vital. On the contrary, I don't think twists are as good for this. Same goes for high-intensity inversions such as headstands and handstands. This is based from my own experience, however. Others may feel differently, and that doesn't make anyone wrong in my book.

No comments: