Sunday, May 11, 2008

yoga, mental states, and intensified emotions

My yoga lesson today was admittedly unpleasant. At times, it seems that if I go into yoga practice with something pretty big on my mind, yoga doesn't necessarily help to resolve the issue. Doing yoga in an exhausted state often alleviates the fatigue. However, practicing when I'm deeply concerned about something does not assuage my feelings. I was on the verge of tears in several yoga practices, and it seems that the more I push my body, the more intense the emotions. My strongest practice was about a year ago when I was doing Baptiste yoga in Pittsburgh. A one-and-a-half-hour class at 100 degrees really did me in, especially since I was only beginning then. I came out drenched with sweat, tears, and many tissues to throw out from blowing my nose. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but it's certainly more than just exercise.

I was pretty lazy today, and I felt pretty miserable that I was taking it easy, but I don't blame myself anymore. I was able to do much less than I usually am, and my endurance was low and my body stiff, but it was appropriate, considering my mental state. There have been times in the past where one such practice would cause me to give up yoga for a while, and this is a huge mistake. Maybe it's a test; it seems inconvenient that it comes at such an inopportune time, but perhaps that's part of it as well.

I guess my question is this: if you're having a particularly bad day, when everything, including yoga, irritates you, should you bother with yoga? I think the answer is yes. My thoughts on this are a bit scattered, and it's difficult for me to articulate exactly what I'm trying to say.

After I came home from yoga this morning, I completely broke down in a crying fit. It's not an easy time, but maybe this sort of allowed for a later uplift. I do feel much better after the morning ordeal. I think it cleared some passageways in a slightly unconventional manner, but it somehow worked, at least for tonight.

No comments: